This project evaluated time series analysis of costumes attendance a case study of Shoprite mall Enugu state. The primary aim of this project is to enhance adequate planning through customer attendance analysis, to predict future customer attendance from past attendance records. The researcher made use of chi-square which is a non-parametric test, and is a method of comparing counted data measure in a normal scale. Which individual observation are assigned to categories or group because the Questionnaire were in large square in this statistical test which measures the relationship between observed frequencies. Also discussed the objective and aim of the study, method of data collection, the scope and coverage of the statement of the problem, purpose of the study hypothesis and limitation of the study etc.
TABLE OF CONTENT
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of the Problem
1.3 Objectives of the study
1.4 Research Questions
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Research Hypothesis
1.7 Scope of the Study
1.8 Limitation of the study
1.9 Operational Definition of term
CHAPTER TWO LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1 Review of Relevant Literature
2.3 Shoprite Mall Enugu State
CHAPTER 3: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.1 Design of Study
3.2 The Population
3. 3 The Sample and Sampling Techniques
3.4 Method of Data Collection/Instrument
3.6 Method of Data Analysis
CHAPTER 4: DATA PRESENTATION, DATA ANALYSIS, RESULT AND DISCUSSION
4.0 Data Analysis, Interpretation
4.1 Hypothesis Testing
4.2 Discussion of Findings
CHAPTER 5: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION, RECOMMENDATION
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Shoprite holdings are the fastest growing consumer goods (FCMG) retail platform operation on the African continent (especially in the southern African region) with operations in 15 countries Aborisade, S. (2013). Shoprite has a very simple philosophy: Provide all communities in Africa with food and household items in a first-world shopping environment, at the Group’s lowest possible prices.
At Shoprite, their mission statement which entails bringing to their teeming customer base low prices on the best product. Since opening their first store in Lagos in December 2005, they have since then launched an additional twelve stores across eight states in the Federation including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, employing 1860 people, of which 99.5% are Nigerian citizens. Shoprite has built relationship with over 250 leading Nigerian suppliers, small businesses and farmers, securing a wide assortment of local brands (DeLurgio, 2008).
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Though ShopRite holdings being noted for its steady rise in the retail sector in Africa, the need for adequate planning and more profitability has necessitated this study. Firms generally in Nigeria pay less attention on the frequency of customer attendance and this has inhibited their growth due to inadequate planning and strategizing.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the aims and objectives of the study
1. To know if customer attendance influences profitability.
2. To help enhance adequate planning through customer attendance analysis.
3. To know if there is a relationship between customer attendance and prices of commodities
4. To educate the general public on the importance of customer attendance analysis.
5. To predict future customer attendance from past attendance records.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
2. What landscape qualities are attributable to Enugu Shopping Mall (Shoprite) in Enugu?
3. What are the tourism potentials of Enugu Shopping Mall (Shoprite)?
4. How does Enugu Shopping Mall (Shoprite) impact on the lives of the citizenry?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The cardinal significance of this study is to educate firms and companies on the need to take adequate customer attendance and its importance in improving profitability and also to enhance adequate market research and planning. Another importance of this study is to predict future customer attendance from past customer attendance records.
1.6 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
H0: there is no relationship between customer attendance and adequate market planning.
H1: there is a relationship between customer attendance and adequate market planning.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study on the statistical analysis of customer attendance using the Shoprite malls Enugu as a case study.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
There is no research or study without its own unique limitations, therefore the short comings of this research are:
1. Due to the novelty of this study, there was insufficient relevant materials (journals, books, etc) for the literature review. Some journals are not accessible online and acquiring them could prove impossible considering the tedious procedure involved especially through online purchase.
2. There was also reluctance and lack of cooperation on the part of the respondents in answering the questions in the questionnaire appropriately. This of course proved a serious limitation to this study.
3. The fact that the method of study was survey and focus group discussion, means that it was mainly the opinion of the respondents that was elicited, the sincerity of the respondents may not be known or determined.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Customer: A person or an organization that buys something from a shop/store or business.
2. Attendance: The act of being present at a place.
3. Market research: The action or activity of gathering information about consumers' needs and preferences.